Monday, February 10, 2014

Best Books are Gifts

Recommended Reading
by Dr. James R. Brooks


Some of the best books are gifts.  I thank my friends, Amy and Cathleen, for this treasure.  Guardians of Being with words by Eckhart Tolle and art by Patrick McDonnell is far too quick a read for the deep joy it brings.  McDonnell is the creator of the comic strip "Mutts" and Tolle is renown for writing “The Power of Now” and “A New Earth.”  Turning the pages of this book, I thoroughly enjoyed the conversation between the text and the art.  At a slim 120 pages, approximately, it is a book that ends too quickly.  In addition to inspiring me to spend more time with my dog, this book provided a compelling argument for me to spend more time being me.  By far, my favorite aspect of the book was the quiet nudge to enjoy a profound experience of God.  I recommend this book as a great gift, especially for the pet lover.

No comments: