Thursday, October 29, 2015

Framed Thanksgiving

by Dr. James R. Brooks, Lead Minister

What is in a frame?  

I invite you to survey the frames in your home and or workplace.  What do you place in picture frames?  

In my church office, you would find framed items from my ministry.  Such as diplomas, ordination certificate, from churches I've served, including the bulletin from my first sermon.  Some awards I've been blessed to receive are framed.  One wall is given to a print of Matthias Grünewald's depiction
Jamesof the crucifixion.  A wonderful piece created by my son joins a collection of family pictures. 

You will not find framed regret.  Is this so of your framed items.  Bittersweet are the images of loved ones lost.  
I could not find a frame that held regret, or shame, or guilt, or sadness.

I believe God prefers it that way.  To frame regret or guilt or the others could be to frustrate the work of forgiveness and reconciliation.  Besides, what interior decorator would approve of us framing the links of Jacob Marley's chain (from A Christmas Carol).

How bright God's smile at the items you have framed.  Items of hope and love and joy and peace.  From the frame, these items witness to us of God's glory and grace.

Framing these items reminds us of God's blessings.  The framing provides the opportunity to share the witness with others.  I image there is at least one frame ready to help you tell others about your experience of Jesus.  Telling a grandchild of the joy when you had their parent as a baby?  Sharing with a co-worker how blessed you were the day you married your spouse?  What story would you tell?

What is in a frame?  Our Thanksgivings made real before our eyes.

No comments: