Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Recommended Read: The Reason

My ideas of love were only shadows compared to this painfully bright, shining, true love that fell all around me.”  This is one of a multitude of inspiring lines from Lacey Sturm’s book, The Reason: how I discovered a life worth living.  A book that I passionately recommend you read.

I first encountered Lacey’s voice in her role as the lead singer of the Christian band, Flyleaf.   Though I never saw her perform live with the band (I was able to see the band start their first tour without her), I have enjoyed their music and her voice for years.  Their music videos are amazing.

Picking up her first book, I wondered if she would write as well as she sang, could she author a book as well as she penned a lyric.  Within a few pages, her talent was obvious.  Her writing style is very balanced and mature in her dealing with subject matter that is quite profound.  This book read as if she were talking to me over a cup of coffee or glass of wine.

You should read this book for its message and model.  I do not agree with every theological statement Lacey makes.  I share deeply her love for God and God’s people.  I am inspired by Lacey’s ability to be vulnerable about her life and passionate about God’s love.   As she shared how God has worked in her life, I readily recalled moments when I feel close to God and craved more.  

You will be blessed if you read this book. 

(quote from page 112)

No comments: