Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Relationships: Best Gift Ever

Relationships include gift giving, from remembering others on holidays to the time and presence we offer one another.  What is the best gift you have received?  given?

My Grandma and I shared the same birthday.  One year, when I was a child and we celebrated at her house, she took me to town.  She and my Grandpa lived on a small farm.  Our trip to town was to obtain groceries for dinner.  Well that was the reason when we left the house.

Once in the car, my Grandma explained that we would be purchasing my birthday gift, and I would be able to select the gift.  However, I had to act surprised when it came time to open gifts.  Receiving a toy gun was not why this is among the best gifts ever. 

I remember the anticipation as we drove to town to select the gift.  In the store, I struggled to wield well the power of selection, something I wanted but I did not want to ask for something too expensive or extreme.  As we opened gifts, feeling worry that I would not be convincing in my feigned surprise.   I recall the sense of sharing something special and unique with my Grandma.  I remember my Grandma’s smile and bright eyes.

The criterion for best gift ever was something beyond the material.  My Grandma, like all my amazing grandparents, excelled at making me feel special.  This included the memory of something shared, something uniqued.  Love made real.

Tomorrow we start Lent.  For Christians, it is a period of preparation for Easter.  Some of the faithful will give up something, make a sacrifice, to discipline the soul.  Others will take up a new spiritual practice.  

What if each day of Lent, you remembered the “best gift” you have received from a person important to you?  I pray Easter arrives before you have named one person per day.  If Easter has yet to come or if you name a person lacking that “best gift” moment … create the moment.  Give them the moment or make the plan to do so.  

Love made real …. daily … till Easter … when God makes it real for you in an eternal way.

Imagine … how will the remainder of 2015 transpire if now you name 40 important individuals and the “best gift” moment over 40 days?  


God’s smile and bright eyes upon you be forever.

No comments: