Thursday, April 02, 2015

Maundy Thursday: Loving You

For me to love you, it has to be about more than political correctness or being morally right.  I am too weak and whinny, too selfish and shallow to love you.   I need something more.

Growing up in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), I cherish communion.   I am shaped by worship that weekly revolves around the Lord’s Table.  A table of such radical love as to be open to everyone who is curious about Jesus regardless.   The reconciliation and renewal of the bread and wine are of grace, mercy and justice enough as to be for all God’s creation.

Maundy Thursday is a high holy day of sorts in my tradition.  A celebration of that time when Jesus shared the meal with his followers.  Reading the words of institution from the sacred texts.

This year, we read from the gospel of John 13:1-17, 34b-35.   
And there I read the “more” I need to love you.

Jesus washes the feet of the disciples … master serves the servant in a way the servant can never serve self.  Jesus foreshadows the making clean only the Risen Savior can provide.  Jesus then tells the followers to love each other as Jesus loves them.

I love you because Jesus told me to love you.  That would be enough for the faithful.  Yet there is more in this glimpse of heaven.

Jesus shows us love that is more than hopes and dreams.  By washing the feet of his followers, Jesus demonstrates an active love.  It is the thought that counts yet we are called never to settle for so little for our brothers and sisters.  We are called to demonstrate such a love for each other that the world will know who we follow.

The “more” I needed to love you is the thankful life of response.  When I love you, I am responding with thanksgiving to the table of the Lord set for us before our enemies.  When I love you, I am responding with thanksgiving to Jesus’ washing our feet.  

Living my life in response to Jesus saves me from my shallow and selfish, weak and whinny way.  Though no promise this will be easy, loving you makes me a better person, with a more joyful experience of life.  


Am I ready for the Risen Lord on Easter if I love you?  If I live in thankful response to Jesus found at the Lord’s Supper and at the washing of feet?

No comments: